Facing Your Fears - Part 2

This one is just too ironic for words.  In my post of January 7th, I talked about my fear of creating faces and trying to "face" those fears.  You'll see the irony when you see the quote I used in this journal page. 

In Color Love 101, with Joanne Sharpe, many of us students took on teaching a bonus lesson.  I was particularly interested in one that focussed on how to fake faces (lesson by Nickalli Bascochea-Braaten).  Faking it seemed like a good thing to do.  I'll procrastinate at doing almost anything if the thought of it makes me uncomfortable enough! 

Anyway, following the instructions in this lesson, I took a vintage image I had printed:



And I glued her to a journal page I had made with various homemade dye and paint sprays:



Then came the hard part.  I gessoed lightly over her and then experimented with various acrylic paints, markers and pencil crayons until I ended up with this:



Now, I wouldn't say this piece is my finest work by any stretch of the imagination, but it certainly shows some potential if I get off my lazy butt and do some more practice.

Oh, and I am sure the irony is not lost on you.  I used a line from the song "Gypsy" by Stevie Nicks and Fleetwood Mac as the quote for this piece.  Without even realizing it at the time, I was acknowledging my fear of creating faces by the quote I chose.  Weird, huh?

Thanks, Nickalli, for a great lesson!

No comments: